Holistic Nutrition is a way to look at the term “nourishment” and relate it to the way we fuel our bodies. I have been in a place of body dishonour and it sucks. I’m rekindling through compassion, my relationship with my own nourishment needs. Here are 5 reasons why you might want to see a Holistic Nutritionist.
- Diets don’t work:. I have tried them, a shitload of them. They don’t work. For a myriad of reasons, they mess with your metabolism and your insulin levels, and only draw you further away from finding your inner knowledge of how to eat for your best health. A Holistic Nutritionist is a great resource to use when you want a lifestyle change that will heal your nutritional disconnect and help you feel healthier.
- “Holistic” means more than just food: the “why” around eating is equally as important if not more important that the “what”. Humans are emotional beings, and food is a coping mechanism. When we are able to ask ourselves “why” we are eating then we can start to learn about how we cope, and learn what our beings need; because if you use food to satisfy a craving for loneliness, then once the food is gone, we will still be left with loneliness. Tuning in to this awareness is so empowering.
- Stress kills: The way we eat, how we eat, and the way we run our lives all play a direct role with how we honour our own needs. And when we are stressed, we will digest foods completely differently than when we are calm and relaxed. Stress puts our bodies out of touch with their abilities to use nutrients properly. Instead, we are in fight-or-flight mode, because the body thinks it’s mobilizing itself for battle. We will have gut unrest, poor bowel movements, brain fog, and overall poor state of wellbeing.
- The gut is the seat of health: when we are in harmony with our bodies and our senses of nourishment, we will be calmly in tune with our needs for nutrients. The thing about supplements, is that while there’s a time and place for them, if we are truly aware of our nutrition needs and how to feed ourselves, we will naturally eat the foods that will help us feel balanced and eat a range of foods that will ensure we get all the vitamins and minerals that our bodies need. This means we may intuitively know that the McDonald’s burger should be sidelined in favour of a T-bone steak, or that maybe we actually would best be suited with the slice of dark chocolate cherry cake. The key to life is balance, and being aware of what our body needs.
- Eating is an emotional experience: often, Holistic Nutrition is able to target issues around body image and self-care which are rooted in the way, and what we choose to put into our bodies. “Holistic” encompasses body image, physical movement, mindfulness and self-care. This may mean examining hidden beliefs of unworthiness, past habit formation, coping mechanisms, physical activity, meditation and yoga. Nothing is isolatable in terms of focusing on treating symptoms, we look at the big picture of the root cause and incorporate multifaceted healing prescriptions for a lifestyle change.